Church on the Hill
Madonna Church on the Hill is located at 2070 Hoefley’s Lane in Fort Lee, New Jersey, next to Madonna Cemetery and Mausoleum. Masses at Church on the Hill are held Sunday at 11am.
Church on the Hill is also available for weddings and funerals. Please contact the Rectory for scheduling.
*Baptisms are not celebrated at Church on the Hill. Please contact Max Almenas, Youth Ministry Office, to schedule baptism at the Main Church: email@example.com or 201-461-4261.
Built in 1854 by Henry James Anderson on a hill commanding a view of the entire area, the Madonna Church on the Hill was the earliest Catholic edifice in Bergen County and one of the oldest extant in New Jersey.
In 1890 the church officially was owned by the Riley family when it became the property of the Church of Madonna. In 1904, Andrew Carnegie donated a J.J. & G.S. Odell pipe organ.
National Register of Historic Places
On April 8, 1976, Terry Karschner, Historian, Curator from United States Department of the Interior nominated Church of the Madonna (known today as Church on the Hill) to be added to National Register of Historic Places.