Become A Priest Through Holy Orders
2. Pray. In an interview, Pope Francis stated that“Discernment is always done in the presence of the Lord, looking at the signs, listening to the things that happen…”In this quote, we find a solid foundation for discernment. You must take time in the presence of the Lord to listen. Take time each day in prayer (preferably before the Blessed Sacrament), entering into silence with the Lord and His Word, allowing Him to guide the conversation. If you find yourself talking too much, just be still and listen. Check out our guide to Lectio Divina (Divine Reading).
3. Frequent the Sacraments. Be sure to attend Mass on a regular basis, daily if possible. Frequent the Sacrament of Reconciliation at least once a month.
4. Seek Spiritual Direction with a priest whom you look up to and trust. Meet with him every few weeks to discuss how your prayer is going and what you think the Lord is whispering to your heart.
5. Read about the priesthood. It is a great way to hear the Lord’s call, as it will open your eyes to the wonder and beauty of this supernatural vocation. Reading the lives of the Saints can also be beneficial. Take a few moments each day to devote to good spiritual reading. Check out our list of recommended books and documents to get you started.
6. Get Involved with your parish. Ask about the different ministries and volunteer programs they offer. Some great ways to get involved include volunteering as a lector or Eucharistic Minister to help serve around the Lord’s altar; teaching RCIA or Religious Education to help share and pass on the faith to others; helping with visits to soup kitchens, prisons, and nursing homes. All of these will help paint a picture of parish ministry.